Kanye West: I'm Sorry, Taylor!

Foc Kan/WireImage;George Napolitano/FilmImage

With the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards approaching, Kanye West is hoping to be absolved for his beyond-rude treatment of Taylor Swift at the 2009 VMAs. On Saturday, the hip-hop star turned to his Twitter to beg forgiveness of Swift, 20, for interrupting her Best Female Video Award acceptance speech to say that Beyoncé   should have won.In a long stream-of-consciousness monologue, West, 32, defended himself against accusations of racism while admitting his actions were rude and childish. Here is some of what he tweeted to the young country star:

Who am I to run on stage? I would never ever again in a million years do that...What's the point of dressing tastefully if I'm going to act the complete opposite?  Yes I was that guy. A 32 year old child. When I woke up from the crazy nightmare I looked in the mirror and said GROW UP KANYE.

I take the responsibility for my actions. I am not a bad person. Even in that moment I was only trying to do good but people don't always need my help. Beyonce didn't need that. MTV didn't need that and Taylor and her family friends and fans definitely didn't want or need that... I've hurt, I've bled, I've learned. I only want to do good. I am passionate I am human I am real.... I'm sorry Taylor.

West criticized those who turned the fight into "a race issue," tweeting, "Taylor loves rap music... I love country music." He also offered to make amends with Swift by giving her a song:

I wrote a song for Taylor Swift that's so beautiful and I want her to have it. If she won't take it then I'll perform it for her.

We're pretty sure Swift will continue to write her own songs, but it's a nice gesture nonetheless.

Although Kanye's ego doesn't seem to have diminished with his "new found humility," his lengthy apology seems to come from a genuine place. We give him major props for not playing the non-apology card that so many celebrities use to get themselves off the hook. He didn't say, "I'm sorry Taylor Swift's feelings were hurt"; he said he was sorry for being rude and childish. The hip-hop world is built on ego, and for Kanye to put his aside for a minute and own up to his mistakes is no small accomplishment. Will Taylor Swift think so, too? As of now, she hasn't publicly responded.

Of course, the question on everybody's mind is: will Kanye manage to behave himself this year? We'll find out on September 12! (ivillage)